Monday, November 29, 2010

Farwell from Rose Darden (aka The Grand Poobah!!)

Today I pass the flag of Second Hand Rose. The fact that I am passing my business on to two wonderful people has made this an easier transition. You will all just love Brad and Amy….they fit in like a missing piece from a puzzle.

I don’t think that the finality of this transaction has hit me yet. I have been so fortunate to make a living doing what I love. The pressure of having to get a sale ready every month has been huge at times but I would not have traded this experience for anything. I have worked with like-minded, really fun dealers. We have had so many laughs over the years. We have had a raccoon in the shop, a family of mice, women fighting over an item, a dealer who insisted on the presence of ghost at the old shop, angry husbands and absolute hilarity. I will always remember the long, long lines of customers waiting to get in at 9AM at our first shop. I remember one of our dealers telling the customers that anyone who had a present for me could come to the head of the line. I remember going out to my car and sitting there having a good cry because I was so exhausted and there were so many customers in the shop and everyone wanting a piece of me. Our sale was so huge that time and I told myself that I didn’t care if I ever had another sale that big. I just could not handle it.

I didn’t want to grow unlike many shops. I wanted to stay small. I didn’t want to do extra events, lots of advertising or be open more than the four days per month. I always felt that getting bigger is not always better….at least not for me.
Now Second hand Rose will have new life. I can continue in this business on a smaller scale being a dealer only. I don’t want to be in charge anymore, I don’t want to make the important decisions. I just want to slow down a bit and have the presence of mind to create. I want to simplify, take better care of myself, take some long walks, read my good books, kayak a lot of rivers with my dear David and rediscover myself.

Now I can watch Brad and Amy soar with the shop that I created. I am SO happy that they want to take over, to make the business grow, and introduce some exciting new ideas. I will always be there to help where I can.
Thank you to all of my friends, family, dealers and most of all thank you to all of my loyal customers.

Rose
Over and Out

No comments:

Post a Comment